Question: Infection after unprotected sex, yet negative test results

ldotguy - Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:38 am

I am a 23yo male, and this has happened 3 times now, with 2 different partners. I am very safe with sex, and always use protection, but every once in a while my bad judgement gets the best of me and I don't use a condom. In the past 2 years I've only not used a condom 3 times, and all 3 times I have gotten an infection, with small amounts of either clear, or cloudy liquid coming from the tip of my penis, and also a mild odor which I can't really decribe. the first 2 times I went to the doctor and got tested for Chlamydia/Ghonorrhea/etc, and they gave me the antibiotics normally used to treat these infections. Both times the test results came back negative, yet, the antibiotics worked and cleared it up. My partner was also tested and her test results came back negative as well. I just got the same infection with the same symptoms.

I don't understand if all these tests are coming back negative, why I am getting an infection every time I have unprotected sex.

Are there other possible diagnoses? Some help would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't know why the tests are showing negative but the antibiotics are clearing it up. Perhaps it is some other bacteria besides those they tested for. I suspect that is why the doctor went ahead and prescribed antiobiotics. There would be no use doing that unless he/she suspected something of bacterial nature. But, there are many types besides chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Best course of action for you, of course, is using a condom consistently. With this tendency it would be worth it.

Best wishes to you.