Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Sperm Analysis with low Krueger Strict Morphology

zoey43 - Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:35 am

Hi! My husband and I are trying to have a baby so we had a sperm analysis done(Krueger Strict.) The results were as follows: the volume was 4.5cc, total count was 195.3 million, the motility was 72% and the Kruger morphology was only 4% and the WHO morphology was 27%. I know the morphology is low but will my husband's high sperm count and motility help even out the low morphology? I figured with that low of a morphology out of the 195.3 million sperm 7.8 million are of good quality. Is that enough to get pregnant naturally? We have only been trying to get pregnant for 2 months. He was told to take 1000 mg of vitamin C, 400 IU of Vitamin E and a multi vitamin. We will do another sperm analysis almost 3 weeks after the last one. Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:53 pm

User avatar The follow-up testing will help determine if the morphology abnormality is temporary or permanent so it is important not to worry prematurely. Also, I wonder why you are having sperm analysis with only two months' efforts at pregnancy. It is typical for it to take up to a year for a young, sexually active female, off birth control, to achieve pregnancy. I'm not sure when this all became so scientific and planned. Relaxing and letting nature take its course is a good plan. Needless worry is known to have a detrimental affect on hormones.

As a rule, fertility specialists aren't needed until you have reached that point where natural pregnancy has not occurred in six months (for older mothers) to a year (in mothers younger than 35). If everyone who achieved normal, healthy pregnancies had been previously analyzed, many would probably have been found to have some disturbing results. But, when pregnancy occurs naturally, we never know what the condition of the sperm was. Perhaps you have reason to be worried due to drug use, etc. but in the absence of that I would advise you to just relax and see what happens. Becoming pregnant can be something of a nice surprise as well as a planned event.