Question: Large Kidney Stone: Removal Options

justincase - Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:45 am

(Male; age 59) Was just diagnosed with a 1 cm stone in my left kidney. Two optional methods for removal have been described to me: 1. ureteroscopy w/ laser, and 2. shock wave lithotripsy.
If both procedures are available and covered by insurance which of the two would you recommend.
Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:39 pm

For a number of reasons I would personally both recommend (and prefer) lithotripsy over uteroscopy. The former is quick, non-invasive and usually quite effective. The latter can be uncomfortable, takes longer, and may well leave things irritated, including the prostate. This would be a simple choice for me, given insurance coverage for either.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.