Question: Itchy Red Swollen Hands & Prostate?

Tbird62 - Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:49 pm

A few months ago I experienced hot, itchy soles - first on one foot then the other. This went away in two or three days. About a month ago, one hand became itchy & swelled to where I couldn't make a fist. The redness spread about 8" up my arm. The ER doctor couldn't find evidence of a bite or sting. He made several blood tests, all negative. He was stumped. So is my GP. telling this to a friend, she said that it sounds just like what her father had, and it had been found to relate to his prostate. He had been treated accordingly and the condition was resolved.In general, the past year the backs of my hands have been dry and itchy. Applying a rich cream does not help the itching.Any ideas?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:22 pm

What you describe sounds like, in the first instance (your feet) a contact dermatitis, and in the second (your hand), a different sort of allergic (probably contact) reaction called angioneurotic edema. Neither, so far as I am aware, could have any relationship to a prostate problem. You've most likely come into contact with something to which you're allergic, although sometimes an autoimmune response can cause the same sort of thing to occur spontaneously. If you should experience another episode similar to what took place in your hand, you might try Benadryl (don't plan on doing much, as it can make you very drowsy). If it makes the swelling and itching go away then it's definitely an allergic problem and the trick will be in figuring out just what you've come into contact with. This can be quite a challenge, as sometimes the thing never repeats itself.

Good luck to you and again, I very much doubt there is any relationship between these incidents and a problem with your prostate.

Good luck to you.