Question: Life long Phimosis/Circumcision aftermath

arc - Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:09 am

The foreskin on my penis never retracted for the majority of my life, so I had basically been experiencing Phimosis up until I was 18 and had a circumcision.

It's been about 5-6 months since the operation and the circumcision has healed itself, however since my penis was never really exposed to the air my whole life it still remains sore and unpleasurable to touch. Am I going to make a full recovery as far as this goes, and if possible could you give a time frame that it will occur in? I've experienced no improvement thus far with this problem.

Thanks for your help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:55 am

User avatar Hello Arc,

I'm less familiar with circumcisions as an adult but I would have expected a full recovery by 5-6 months. I would recommend that you see your urologist again to follow up on this.

arc - Mon May 12, 2008 11:01 am

So I went to see my urologist today as it's now 10 months since the circumcision and I still cannot masturbate or have sex because touching the head of the penis remains unpleasurable. My urologist insists that everything is fine and did not really supply any cause or answer or how long it will take to heal/fix. I asked if this was normal and he proceeded to ask me if I can pee and get erections and since I can he concluded that everything is fine. He seemed much more concerned with ushering me out of his office (I think he overbooks so is constantly in a rush).

So anyway, I'm planning on seeing my GP and hopefully getting another referral to a different urologist. I'm just wondering if there's anything you guys might be able to diagnose or take a guess at what the problem is and maybe comment on if it's ever going to be resolved...

The symptoms are pretty straightforward, sometimes when I pee I'll get a slight burning sensation, the head is unpleasurable to touch and the tip/hole seems a bit discoloured/darker.

Thanks for any help or advice..
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 pm

User avatar Hello again,

This still seems a bit unusual to me. I agree with your plan to get a second opinion and be sure everything is OK.

pgu23 - Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:09 pm

hi i just got my circumcision almost a week now and everything is going fine except for the fact that i have gotten only 3 hours of sleep max from this past few days and its because i keep having this erections at night while im sleeping which forces me to wake up since is very painful that my stiches are stretching and im wondering what can i do to prevent this from happening .....does having an ice pack on while your sleep work or a compression bandage or maybe something else ?
 Jershy - Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:03 am

Hello, my name is Joshua, I am 19 years of age and am almost certain I have Phimosis. I cannot pull back my foreskin and just recently have been feeling a burning sensation when I urinate. I also have a small penis, I don't know if that makes any difference. I don't know if I am still covered by my father's insurance, so my question is, what should I do. Thank you for your time and I will gladly appreciate any help/advice you may have for me.
 Dr Paul Turek - Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Regarding increased penile head sensitivity after circumcision, I always tell my adult circumcised men that penile sensation is very high as the now newly exposed glans penis will rub on everything and that they should expect this feeling (sometimes pleasurable, sometimes not) for 1-2 years. Your penis needs to get used to rubbing against things all the time now, unlike what it has experienced in the past. You can consider rubbing topical anesthetic creams (EMLA) on the sensitive areas for 5-15 min and washing off if there is a particular kind of activity or time of day that it bothers you the most. This will temporarily numb it. Should improve as nervous system adjusts.