Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: leg pain when starting to urinate

 mysterymom - Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:49 pm

When I begin to urinate, I get a shooting pain in my right thigh, on the outside just above my knee. I have asked 2 doctors about this and they either laugh or don't have any idea what it is. It seems most like something vascular to me. It also hurts sometimes when I walk for a couple miles. But it is not muscular or joint pain. Can anyone help? Why does it hurt when in my leg when I just begin eo urinate??? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 pm

User avatar Hello Mysterymom,

This is a bit puzzling. I'm not sure exactly what this is; however, from what you are describing about the only thing I can possibly come up with is a nerve problem. Perhaps there is a nerve in your lower back that is somehow being compressed or irritated from the musculature relaxing during urination or the continued motion of walking.

It may be helpful to have some imaging of the pelvis such as an MRI. I would also consider seeing a neurologist for further evaluation of this issue. The other possible avenue would be to see a urologist.

I'm honestly fairly stumped on this. When you find the cause, will you please update our forum so we can all learn?

Best wishes.
 mysterymom - Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:13 am

Thank you so much for replying, Dr. Lowe--
If my leg problem were nerve pain, wouldn't I have tingling or pain or coldness traveling down the length of my leg? And if it were urological, wouldn't I have any other urinary problems? I don't. Unless there is some vein or nerve that runs alongside my bladder....I still think it is a leg problem, as more and more I feel it when I stand up in the morning and when walking around. It is very localize--I can put my finger directly on the spot. So I suppose imaging is the way to go. The problem is that I can only afford very high-deductible health insurance, and MRIs and ultrasounds are expensive. I was hoping there might be a less expensive diagnostic tool.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 pm

User avatar One other possible route to try is seeing a sports medicine physician. They are basically muscular experts and may be able to see if there is a tight muscle or other issue by doing a detailed musculoskeletal exam. If they can find a problem it may negate the need for imaging.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us