Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Can your bladder move in your upper abdomen? 2 sling repairs

darkestdays30 - Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:27 am

I have had 2 past sling repairs, last one over the summer. Feels like my bladder has moved up in my upper abdomen, at and above my belly button, pain running into mid back & both kidneys. Is that possible because it really feels that way?

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 pm

While you are no doubt experiencing some sensation in your abdomen, and it may in fact involve your bladder repairs, the bladder doesn't have enough urethral "tether" to permit it to drift that far up, not to mention the gravitational pull downward of the organ even when it is not holding water. So no, it seems to me physically impossible for this to have happened. However, just like referred pain, other sensations may also be referred and you may actually be "feeling" your bladder in an area where it is not.

Hope this is helpful.