Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Can your bladder move in your upper abdomen? 2 sling repairs

darkestdays30 - Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:27 am

I have had 2 past sling repairs, last one over the summer. Feels like my bladder has moved up in my upper abdomen, at and above my belly button, pain running into mid back & both kidneys. Is that possible because it really feels that way?

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 pm

User avatar Hello -

While you are no doubt experiencing some sensation in your abdomen, and it may in fact involve your bladder repairs, the bladder doesn't have enough urethral "tether" to permit it to drift that far up, not to mention the gravitational pull downward of the organ even when it is not holding water. So no, it seems to me physically impossible for this to have happened. However, just like referred pain, other sensations may also be referred and you may actually be "feeling" your bladder in an area where it is not.

Hope this is helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us