Question: Urinating pain

snocat247 - Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:10 pm

Earlier in the week, I was feeling fine. Suddenly I had excutiating pain in my left flank which felt exactly like prior kidney stones. I have been diagnosed with I think it is called Spongy Kidney, where I had multiple stones in each kidney. Being 28 weeks pregnant I called my OB GYN and he sent me to the hospital. He did an Ultra sound and Urine test. The Urine test came back positive for blood but no infection. The ultrasound said that there was not any stones. I still have pain in my urethra, pain with peeing, peeing quite frequently to the point that I cannot sleep. They tested my urine again today and once again there was blood but no bacteria. I am concerned because of the pain and frequent urination, but he is not. He said to watch my temperature and call him if it gets worse. He has not even seen me in person. Am I being overly concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:55 am

User avatar Hello Snocat247,

Urine tested by dipstick may occasionally miss an infection but in an adult this is less likely. This can be tested for by doing a urine culture.

Your symptoms initially made me think of a kidney stone. Ultrasounds can pick up some kidney stones but not all. The better test is a CT scan; however, in pregnancy this should be avoided. If you are having persistent blood in your urine, a kidney stone is a possibility.

If your symptoms persist you may want to consider seeing a urologist (bladder/urinary tract specialist) for further evaluation.