Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Firm lump on testicle and maybe a hernia as well

netdudeuk - Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:27 am

I'm a 45 year old male. I have a firm pea-size-ish lump on my left testicle - at the front and to the top. It's part of the testicle itself rather than just being within the scrotum. If I touch it, it's easy to detect and is very tender. I've had it for quite a few months. I've previously had a vasectomy (1994) and a reversal (2000) but I'd not expect that to be relevant because it's not where the epididymis is. I've had it for at least a good few months. I've also had what a gastro consultant said was hernia to the left of my penis but my GP said that it wasn't a hernia. It now seems quite a bit bigger.

What's the score ?

Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:59 pm

User avatar Hi -

While it's impossible to know the true score from a distance, there are a couple observations that can be made with relative certainty regarding your problem. First, a lump such as you describe shouldn't be left to just go away. While the fact that it's painful coupled with the history of vasectomy and reversal suggest it is benign, we can't just guess about things like that. The fact that it's not near the epididymis doesn't necessarily eliminate it from that loop, but it also leaves it suspicious because it's at some distance. See a urologist at once and rule out (or in, as the case may be) anything serious. Never leave something like this to resolve by itself.

The hernia (or non-hernia, depending upon whom you believe) doesn't sound like it is related at all, but it is probably a lymph node that's being felt. This could be checked also, but it sounds rather innocent. The other thing probably is too, but that doesn't mean it can safely be left alone.

Good luck to you and please do follow up with us.
 netdudeuk - Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:59 am

I appreciate the reply. Here's what happened. I saw a Urologist who sent me for an ultrasound scan. The lump was described as 'chronic inflamation'. There was also a sizable cyst and the urologist agreed that I had a hernia which could be left for a while.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us