Question: Large painful lump in penis

rickinark - Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:27 am

Dear Doctor,

I have a fairly large (nickel sized), hard lump deep in the penis. It is located approximately half way along the length, and stays hard and visible while the penis is flaccid. During an erection, it constricts the flow of blood such that the end half doesn't become fully erect, making it look somewhat deformed. It's as if there is a girdle around it that keeps it from becoming erect past the lump location. The lump is somewhat painful to the touch when flaccid, but more painful when erect.

I previously had a small lump under the corona that was similar, with similar characteristics, and a urologist diagnosed it as a form of Peyronie's, but the occurrance of this second, larger and more painful lump in a different location leads me to believe that the diagnosis was a shot in the dark. The urologist took no tests other than feeling the shape and nature of it. I am concerned now, because I can't obtain an erection without pain and deformity, and I don't know whether it may be a form of cancer--the lump is getting larger, more solid, and more painful over time. It does not restrict the flow of urine, but has nearly cut off the blood for an erection. It is more on the dorsal side, by the way.

I hope you might make a suggestion if the condition has occurred with other patients. I am a bit leary of going back to the same medical center because of the lack of successful treatment from the last lump--the treatment I received was injections into the lump that were supposed to soften it over time, but it resulted in a loss of sensation and difficulty in obtaining any arousal at all.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:11 pm

I think the first urologist diagnosed your earlier lesion correctly. What you describe this time is classic for Peyronie's disease, which is a poorly understood but benign problem which, as I'm sure I needn't tell you, can be painful in more ways than just physically. Generally it is suggested to wait a year or so before considering surgery, since the disease will sometimes stabilize or even resolve in that time. There are also some experimental treatments, such as oral vitamin E (which, taken in reasonable doses can't do any harm and could possibly help), and a few other involving injections of various known drugs or substances, but these are of unproven effectiveness. Many affected men are willing to try these while waiting for surgery, because of the discomfort and generally disruptive nature of the disease. Injection of steroids is not recommended because of unwonted side effects and the possibility of damage to tissues in the area.

There isn't too much more I'm aware of which I can tell you. The disease may be inherited in some instances, and some sufferers may also develop similar plaques in other parts of the body (mostly the hands, I believe). Getting counseling on how to cope with and accomodate the problem is often helpful.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and please let us know how things are going.