Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: pain in upper side back area

Katiebug84 - Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I am 24 yrs old and am 22 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby. I am having severe pains in the ribs on the right side. It goes into my back and side area as well. This pain is unbearable sometimes. So I went to my OB and told him about it and he thinks I have a kidney stone. One night the pain suddenly dropped to my lower tummy side area. He thinks the pain that suddenly went from up high to down low was the stone dropping from my kidneys into my ureteros. He gave me pain medicine and told me to drink ALOT of fluids and I should pass it. Well this was a couple weeks ago and I still haven't passed it. I was hurting really bad one night last week and went to the hospital and they did a one scan xray to try and find it and didn't find anything. He said after I have the baby they can do a CT scan and find them if I haven't passed them but I'm wondering if this is really a kidney stone. Last week I spent 3 days throwing up. And when I start hurting bad with this I get nauseaus. I am taking darvacet and demerol for the pain. Most of the time if i take the 2 together the pain will go away but sometimes it won't. It was just hurting me at night but it has started hurting me earlier and earlier in the day now. My urine tests they have done came back fine. I'm concerned because of the pain meds I'm having to take while pregnant and I don't want to become addicted to them. What do u think?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
Your symptoms are consistent with a kidney stone. I suppose it could be something else like gall bladder as well. I imagine your doctor has considered all the possibilities.

Sometimes blood work helps to diagnose a kidney stone (uric acid or excess calcium) or a 24 hour urine collection test to see if you have excess stone-forming minerals but a regular urinalysis could look normal.

Pain medications are considered safe in pregnancy when they are needed. I understand your concern about addiction though. I'm sure your doctor feels you will get past the point of needing them before dependence occurs. I know this is a very painful and frustrating thing to have to just wait it out.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us