Question: Epididymitis...Still Ok To Have Sex?

OhioStateBuckeyes - Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 pm

I have been diagnosed with epididymitis and was wondering if it would be ok to still have sex with my partner? All urinalysis have came back negative to all stds but I do have burning pain urinating and have had the symptons of an std prior (discharge from penis). That has been over a year ago when I experienced the discharge. Still have burning but seem to be clear of stds. The pain in my testicles have not gotten worse and I have taken Doxycycline and now taking Levaquin to clear up the infection. Also could the std like symptons be from a possible UTI? Could the UTI have caused the Epididymitis? Please let me know. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:11 am

User avatar Hello OhioStateBuckeyes,

In general, with epididymitis, sexual contact should be avoided during the episode because most of these are caused by an STD. The abstinence is suggested due to risk of passing the infection. In addition, ejaculation may be painful due to inflammation of the epididymus.

There are more causes of epididymitis than just STD's. You are correct that UTI's can cause epididymitis. If your urine has not been evaluated for an infection this would be a good idea.

Continued follow up with your doctor is important to help determine the cause.