Question: Red mark on glans

John Doe - Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:21 am

Hi, I'm a 24 year-old male currently living in China. I have recently broken up with my girlfriend of one year and thus have been sexually inactive for two months. Whilst with my girlfriend I did not sleep with anyone else.

About three weeks ago a small red mark appeared on the base of my glans. It's maybe a centimeter across and shiny to the point that it looks as if it's leaking clear fluid if in strong light (it's not leaking anything, however). Every two or three days it becomes very pale to the point where I have been fooled into thinking it's going to disappear. However, a layer of dry skin simply comes off in the shower, revealing the red, shiny skin underneath again.

It doesn't appear to be getting any bigger, it is completely painless, and it is not raised at all. Masturbation seems to make the dry skin flake off more quickly. It has been there for nearly a month now and is a considerable source of anxiety, however.

I have not been to the doctor's yet because, frankly, I distrust Chinese doctors after past misdiagnoses for unrelated illnesses, and privacy is also a real issue here. I would have to explain the situation through a translator and it is rare to see a doctor in a closed, private room, so I am very reluctant to go to the hospital with this unless absolutely necessary.

I am currently taking two caplets of minocycline daily, for the treatment of acne. My penis has been circumcised for around three years; prior to this I also had a frenuloplasty due to the foreskin being too tight.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Of course it is impossible to say for sure but it does not sound like anything serious to me. While it is annoying, I would not consider it something for which you must run to a doctor where you are uncomfortable. I would try giving it a couple week's rest to see if there is some type of abrasion that might improve with inactivity (avoid masturbation). There are also many times something seems abnormal which in fact is quite normal but you would have to be seen by a doctor to be absolutely certain it is nothing.