Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Excrutiating burning, itching & soreness on my vagina..HELP!

 Theresa Cooke - Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Dear doctor..

i really don't know where to so scared..and i really need help. i guess thats why i've come here goes..

well me and my boyfriend had intercourse about a month ago now..and i was fine after it..then i came on my period..which was on time and perfect within my 28 day cycle..but then during and after my period i began to suffer excrutiating pain in.on my vagina.. it was itching and burning so much..i coulnt handle i ended up scratching it to sooth my self..then about 2-4 days after became worse..i started feeling bumps and i used a hand held mirror to see what was going on down there and all i could see was red sore skin. My lips had swollen up and my vagina ached like crazy..and it still does now. I looked at it closely and it seemed as though i had cut the skin..and this is what was causing the burning.. i didnt know what to do so i went out and bought some vagisil and i have been using that for 4 days now. However in the last couple of days i have found that there are 4-5 little spots growing on my lips.They arnt tiny spots but they are of moderate size..and they scare me because i don't know what they are or how to treat them.

im incredibly scared and in a hell of a lot of pain..i cant sleep at night because the pain is that bad and yesterday during the day i found blood in my knickers. i don't know where this blood came from as i had only just come off my period and i know that it wasnt a period. I checked to see if i bled anymore but there was nothing coming from my vagina other than pain.

what do you think this is? and what do you recommend i do?
please help doctor..
i await your reply, Theresa x
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sorry about all your pain and anxiety.

Any time you have pain like this it is wise to have it checked out. You could have some kind of infection and you need a correct diagnosis to treat it properly with antibiotics, antifungal, etc. Of course there is concern about sexually transmitted disease so I would recommend having your doctor check for this. Meanwhile, try not to scratch which can result in infected sores. You may find baking soda baths to be soothing.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer here. It is possible you have some type of hypersensitivity that will not need treatment beyond symptom management but it will be good to find out for sure.

Best wishes.
 sunitasharma58 - Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:49 am

im 23 years old.i got married in 2005.after my marriege i got pragnent but my baby aborted due to some reasons. so i got a minor utras swelling i had consulted to medicine and every thing was husbnd went to abroab in 2007.after him i didnt felt any sexual need for 6 months. but now for last 6 moth this needness disturbing me i had started self sex by rubbing the external dot of the begining i didnt make any change in my body i used the augement.flygl,and canestane viginal tablets to avoid the utras swelling.but now i feel a minor itching,wat should i doo to abolish this habbit.the size of my thaies is increasing is it due to self sex.?
and wat should i do to get rid of this habbit?is it harmfull for utras health.please help me please. im so much worried.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
There is no real risk to your health here unless it is interfering with your life in other ways. You should be sure to have clean hands and use water-based lubricants to avoid soreness if the area is too dry. Sometimes you will notice some size variation but it would not be caused by this activity and should not be of concern.

If you do develop an infection, either urinary or yeast, you should get treatment. For yeast you can get over-the-counter anti-fungal creams. Yeast has an odor, white, cheesy discharge and sometimes pain and/or itching. Urinary tract infections occur when bacteria enter the urethra (close proximity to these areas) and usually present with urgency to void frequently and pain with urination. It may require antibiotic treatment.

Don't worry too much about doing harm. As long as you are gentle with yourself and don't use sharp objects, you should be fine and it will not hurt your uterus.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us