Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: slightly sore erections

mphd21 - Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm

My erections bring a slight soreness to my penis

I wake up in the night 2-3 times, or more,
with an Erection, and needing to urinate.
I urinate, and the erection goes away.

Could this continual cycle be causing
a slightly sore erection? And I'm not sure
how long I was erect while asleep.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

thanks
Mark
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:57 pm

User avatar Hello -

The need to urinate often causes nocturnal erections in young men, as a convenient way to make sure there are no accidents. The question here is why you are having to get up so often during the night to urinate, and of course two things immediately suggest themselves: one is a simple urinary infection. The other is possible early-onset of diabetes (which seems less likely for sure, but may need to be ruled out). The repeated erections can certainly cause soreness in the penis but again the question is: why such frequent urinary urges at night? I'd strongly suggest seeing a doctor about this, not so much for the soreness (although that could also be a product of a UTI), but to find out why you're having to go so often.

Hope this is helpful. Please do follow up with us here. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us