Question: post circumcision lump on shaft

Mlrv - Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 pm

I am 27 and had a circumcision 10 days ago. The healing is moving along well but I have noticed a lump on the shaft under my skin. It is the size of a pea. This lump is about half an inch away from any of the area that was cut. The shaft is smooth and normal all around it.

Could a cyst have developed so quickly? I am worried it could be something worse than a cyst. I do not remember this lump before the circumcision but that does not mean it wasn't there. Is it common for cysts to form on areas of the penis there were not operated upon after a circumcision?

Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 pm

It is possible this lump was already present but you hadn't noticed, then because of the recent surgery and frequent checking you've noticed it. It also could be an immune response to the intrusion of the circumcision, even though it is not directly in the area of trauma. These things are not unusual and can sometimes be dermal cysts. Give it a while to go away, since you're still in healing mode. If it remains and especially if it gets larger, painful, or changes in appearance, then by all means have it checked by a doctor.

Please follow up if there are any other questions or additional information you have thought of. Hope this helps.