Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Inguinal and testicular pain for over a year

 switz2001 - Mon May 12, 2008 10:49 am

I am writing this for my brother. He has been having recurrent problems, and none of the doctors he has been too have been able to help him. It started with pain in his right inguinal area that caused difficulties walking. He was originally diagnosed with a hernia, that later at another doctor it was discovered that he did not have one. However, it was discovered that he did have an inflammed prostate and epididimis. He was put on all sorts of antibiotics that did nothing for him. The pain slowly subsided after a while for a few months. Now however, the symptoms have come back and worse. This time he gets a recurring fever, and the pain now radiates from his lower right abdomen to his knee and into his right testicle. He said his right testicle has also been retracting quite a lot as well. Any insight on what this might be, or where to start looking would be helpful. Thank-you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:33 pm

User avatar Hello -

First place your brother should look is in the office of a new doctor. If this doesn't seem important to the current one then he needs to find someone who takes pain and serious symptoms seriously. Long-term irritation or inflammation in this area can cause lasting damage. Probably the epidiimitis has returned, possibly in conjunction with prostatitis (this based not only on the pain pattern but the fever). While epididimitis is painful, prostatitis can make a person feel really horrible and fever is usually present. Both need attention as this has been going on way too long. It probably was just never treated properly or long enough the first times.

I wish I could be of more help, but this should be a fairly simple diagnosis for a medical doctor to make and your brother needs someone to make it and lay out a plan of treatment. Good luck to you and your brother and please do follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us