Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: pelvic floor muscles too tight

 problems101 - Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 pm

I went to a new obgyn that specializes in female pelvic pain. Since all my obgyn tests show no problems. this doctor showed me pictures of pelvis & explains that my pelvic floor muscles are so tight that the large muscle & nerves are being pinched and are having spasms & causing my pain. I'm surprised my urologist didn't catch this but the obgyn said this is new for the obgyn, urologist & gastro doctors.

after 6 doctors not finding my problem, I believe he's right!

I found articles on how to tighten the muscles in the pelvic floor, do you know of any websites or articles on how to loosen them?

 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm happy to hear you have found answers to your problems. I'm afraid I can't recommend any particular website, probably since this is a new field. Most of the time we are concerned with weakened muscles in this area and the exercises are designed to strengthen them. I would consult with your doctor again for help in this since she seems to have the upper edge here.

Good luck.
 LittleBitNorth - Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 am

Hi, I wanted to say that I have the same problem. I recently saw a urologist for it because it is effecting my ability to pee. Especially if I'm neverous.
I just wanted to tell you about something I found out the other day while visiting my Physio who is also a massage therapist. I was explaining about going into the urologist for this test and how embarrassed I was to have to do this. I should also tell you that I was 27 when I had to have a hysterectomy and repair on my bladder. So now its almost 20 years later. She asked if she could just feel my abdomin. She found horrible amounts of scar tissue. She had me feel it. I have been feeling it for years but I thought it was some sort of cellulite. She said that scar tissue can attach to intestines and other organs causing the inability to function properly. She said it felt as if this scar tissue was causing the nerves around my bladder to be pinched and that is why I have no urgency and I have a hard time emptying my bladder. She said she worked on another woman with an incontinence problem and she had an over amount of scar tissue. By breaking it up she avoided surgery and now her bladder functions fine.
Maybe some massage would also work for you? Also.. it hurts like a bugger. Just be warned. =)
I'm going to give this a "go" before I chose the surgery option.
Good luck =)
 problems101 - Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks for everyone's input.

We're now doing another avenue. My pain increases during my cycle, even with all the pelvic floor therapy & such. So I just started lupron. I've heard horrible things about the muscle pain & people think it should be banned, but I like this doctor & I get the feeling I'm tieing his hands by not taking this next step. So I got the first shot & he was concerned about my BP being so high, After driving home (1 1/2 hr drive to his office) I threw up for 8 hours and had to go to my local doc to get a shot to stop. this obgyn doesn't have emergency contact they said they'd let a message for him & he'd get back to me on monday. so I e-mailed him & went to my general doctor. We have no clue if it was a reaction to lupron, or add-back or just a virus.

I e-mailed him again to say how good I was feeling the next day, being off everything & the nurse called me at home, monday & said get back on everything, My blood pressure was too high when they gave me the lupron shot & want me to go back to my local doc & get different meds for my bp.

I will check into the scar tissue thing, That would be nice if that was it. So thanks.

It's been a year of this search & It hasn't been fun. I've seen 3 obgyns, surgeon, gastroenterolgist, urologist, & 2 family physicians. Each time we try something else, I feel like I'm just a test case & am losing confidence in my doctor. Who has been the only one sticking with me, So I really need ot appreciate him.

Thanks again
 problems101 - Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:07 pm


I'm still having pelvic pain problems, even with 3rd shot of lupron, after months of pelvic floor physical therapy, TENs unit, ect.

I went to my local obgyn & he really wants me to go back to a gastro doctor, my obgyn/pelvic pain specialist wants me to keep getting these pudental nerve block shots through winter. He's 1 1/2 hours away & when I ask him, I feel the need over winter to find a local doctor who does this stuff. I'm not going in a snow storm.

anyway he says obgyn's don't do this, & he's right my obgyn won't do this infact he called my specialist a "quack".

AS a doctor / nurse -- what's so strange about a doctor doing a pudental nerve block for chronic pelvic pain.

I'm also realizing I can't get this done every other week for the rest of my life. I feel stuck. Almost like I've gone to the end of what this doctor can help me with

Any thoughts on what kinds of doctors do a pudental nerve block. I get it in my pelvis left side between belly button & hip

 THREEGIRLS - Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:11 pm

i too have pelvic floor dysfunction and i am seeing a physical therapist but was wondering if any other therapies are recommended
 problems101 - Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:21 pm

I've just started myofascial release massages, I'm at a clinic started by John Barnes. It's a very through program, they even do internal massages on me.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:43 pm

User avatar Hi problems101,
You have raised a very interesting question-as to how to 'relax' the pelvic floor muscles.
I can suggest to you Yoga. I believe there are Yogic exercises to relax the pelvic floor muscles.It may be better to try something non-pharmacological.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us