Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Do i have a UTI or something more serious?

 jrw - Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:35 pm

i am a foreign student going to college in New York and my doctor is back home so i am looking to u for answers.
After having sex i recently have been getting a burning sensation while urinating. i also had a slight itch. the burning sensation is most common in the mornings. I need some professional advice on what the problem is. I was also reading about medications such as doxycycline and tetracycline. Is this what i need for my situation?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:12 am

User avatar Hi jrw,
Some symptoms of urinary tract infections are itching, burning with urination, and sometimes noticing blood in the urine. The treatment for a UTI is with antibiotics.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us