Question: Blood in Urine- Dr said not UTI

oneme - Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:32 pm

25 year old female
I had a check up (5/19/08), everything was great and normal. A few days later when I used the restroom there was blood in my urine. (5/21/08). I went to the Dr. the next day and she ran a test, it was not a UTI, or an infection. She also did an ultrasound and everything came back normal.
Since then, there has not been blood in my urine and I went back on 6/12/08 to give another urine sample and they said that everything was normal.
I wasn't hit, I didn't engage in anything dangerous, I don't drink soda or coffee, so I primarily drink water or juice.
Over the past few weeks, I noticed that my back hurts and sometimes my abdomen, but nothing painful.
I just don't know what's going on with my body.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Occasional, isolated hematuria is not terribly unusual. Your doctor apparently felt this was the case. One possible cause seen on occasion is in runners. Some runners experience frequent, benign hematuria and it is assumed to be a result of the jostling effect on the kidneys from running on hard pavement or dry ground. If you run regularly or had been running for some reason prior to the one occasion of hematuria, that would probably give you a satisfactory explanation. Otherwise it is pretty much open to speculation, and since it only happened once it is probably completely benign.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 oneme - Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:54 pm

It happened again.
I woke up last week and my vaginal area felt "funny." I went to the restroom and there was blood in my urine. After urination, I felt like I still had to urinate, but couldn't. I urinated a few other times after that, but there was no blood. I haven't had that "funny" feeling after and there hasn't been anymore blood in my urine. This happened about a week ago, and now by back/kidney area still hurts. I know previously you said running can affect it, but I don't run. Nor do I really do anything strenuous.
Aside from mild MVP I am healthy.
Any ideas?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:09 pm

User avatar Hi again -

With back ache/pain showing up consistent with the episodes of hematuria, I think you'll have to have a kidney stone ruled out. Also, since you're not a runner that's not contributing to either symptom. A stone (or stones) could be lodged somewhere and the really severe pain from those doesn't usually commence til the thing starts to move. If you have one of those little spiky ones sometimes it gets lodged in or near the kidney and can cause intermittent problems. This could be caused by other things too, of course, but the simplest explanation is usually the most likely one. It would probably be the simplest to deal with as well. At any rate, you'll now need to see a urologist who can determine just what's causing this. Once is fairly unremarkable. It appears this is going to be a recurrent event.

Please follow up with us here as needed and keep us updated.