Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Protein detected in urine sample

Chuch - Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:30 pm

I recently had a urine test, the test showed traces of protein. I researched the net and found the symptons are related to urinary infections, kidney failure and cancer etc. I would like to know if this could also be caused by not drinking enough water and consuming alchohol on a regular basis eg 4 to 5 standard drinks a day?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:02 am

User avatar Hello -

While proteinuria can be a feature of any of the serious problems you mention, trace amounts of protein often occur in the urine of healthy patients and this can be caused by fever, exercise, heavier than normal drinking and other relatively benign things.

Best way to determine if this is a problem or just a transient finding (as it usually is), is to have a repeat test in a few weeks. If there are still trace amounts or if the amount of protein has increased then you might need to be further worked up for possible kidney problems, but, again, this finding is very common and usually transient.

Hopefully this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:20 am

User avatar I agree with John. Were you able to follow up on this? Please keep us updated.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us