Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Protein detected in urine sample

Chuch - Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:30 pm

I recently had a urine test, the test showed traces of protein. I researched the net and found the symptons are related to urinary infections, kidney failure and cancer etc. I would like to know if this could also be caused by not drinking enough water and consuming alchohol on a regular basis eg 4 to 5 standard drinks a day?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:02 am

While proteinuria can be a feature of any of the serious problems you mention, trace amounts of protein often occur in the urine of healthy patients and this can be caused by fever, exercise, heavier than normal drinking and other relatively benign things.

Best way to determine if this is a problem or just a transient finding (as it usually is), is to have a repeat test in a few weeks. If there are still trace amounts or if the amount of protein has increased then you might need to be further worked up for possible kidney problems, but, again, this finding is very common and usually transient.

Hopefully this is helpful. Best of luck to you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:20 am

User avatar I agree with John. Were you able to follow up on this? Please keep us updated.