Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: lump on shaft of penis

 snooch_91 - Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:24 am

when i retract my foreskin there is a ridge under the skin going almost all the way around my penis just under the glans. one side is slightly larger and looks like a lump. it has been there for a very long time, but i am worried about it. it is painless, the colour is basically the same as the surrounding area. it has stayed the same size the whole time. could this be anything to worry about?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:33 am

User avatar Hello -

What you describe may be a variant of normal or it could be Peyronie's disease, which can cause this sort of "ridge" like formation. It can also cause, in some people, an annoying bending of the penis. A urologist is the best specialist to diagnose and treat this problem. You should have it ruled out (or in) and if it's not that then you probably have nothing else of concern going on. If it is Peyronie's, you'll want to treat it and have it followed, and the earlier treatment is begun the better the outcome and the less annoyance will be likely.

Best of luck to you. Hope this is helpful.
 snooch_91 - Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:48 am

thankyou, that was helpful. my main concern was that it could be cancer.

it doesnt give me any discomfort at all and i have not experienced any bending, do you think its just normal?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:03 am

User avatar Hi again. It's very possible (and probably even likely) it's just normal for you. As long as it doesn't cause any problems and doesn't change (very important) it's probably fine the way it is.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us