Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Lower pain on left side

blackulous - Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi I am a 28 yr old female who has been suffering with pain on my left side and it extends towards my lower back.I been having pain for a week.It feels intense at times like a very bad cramp or a shocking feeling.It even feels sore to the touch.I went to docter 8/29/08 and was told i had a urinary tract infection with possible kidney stones.I was put on meprozine 50/25 capsules 1-2 every 4 to 6 hours for pain and it don't help at all.I was also given ciprofloxacin HCL 500 mg 2 twice a day for 10 days.Since taking it I am not having pain as bad but its still bad and at times it makes me ball up in pain.I don't drink much water but i drink alot of lipton tea when i work 10 hr a day m-f. I also am eating cranraisins and drinking cranstrawberry juice.I personally don't think i have kidneystones and i have no problems urinating,no burning, no smell just looks a little cloudy.Do you think it is something else or should i get a second opinion? I also have a 7 yr old daughter who started seeing blood when she wipes her after peeing.I took her to peds and did the 24 hr urine analisys and she has blood and protein in urine.Her appt to see a specialist isn't til Dec 08.She has no other problems,no pain,just at least twice a month and its a good amount of blood since june 08. I was told it could be her kidneys.Could we both have kidney problems?She drinks ALOT of water but don't use restroom alot.I drink alot of tea and i go 3-4 times a day.Is that normal for both of us?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:26 am

User avatar Hi blackulous,
Your loin pain could have been due to UTI or crystalluria (sometimes crystals in the urine may block the ureters temporarily causing a colic - as well as a cloudy urine).Drinking lots of tea is in a way, benificial with regard to urinary stones, as it delays calcium absorbtion (i am in no way advising you or others to drink more tea!).I do not know if your urine was cultured and if it showed any UTI.

As far as your daughter is concerned, she definitely needs a urological work up.Good luck!