Question: Size of blood vein to testicle

Wimknoester - Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:22 pm

About 2 weeks ago I contracted an infection of the prostrate. As I went to hospital they performed a few checks on the penis, testicles and prostrate. Apart from the infection of the prostrate, the doctors also found that the blood veins to the 2 testicles were not the same size.

The prostrate infection is being treated by antibiotic medicine by hypothermia treatment to support the medicine and to reduce the size of the prostrate which has boecome to big because of the infection.

What I want to know is your opinion on the blood veins to the testicles. To one testicle the diameter is 1.8 mm and to the other one is 2.8 mm. According to the doctor it shuold not be larger than 2.0 mm and advizes surgery on the one which is too large. During surgery they close this vein and later a new vein should develop itself. If I don't do this surgery it is said that I will get pains in the subject testicle.

Can you give me your opinion on this problem?
Is it really something that I need to be operated on?

Thanks, Wim
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:04 am

The enlarged vein is quite large, but I'm not sure why that would be a problem. I suppose it may be so large for its purpose that it doesn't provide adequate blood return. If that's the case then it probably should be repaired surgically, but again, I have my doubts about the timely development of a collateral vein, and can't help but wonder if that wouldn't create a worse blood return.

I think it's generally wise to seek a second opinion when elective surgery is suggested anyway, and in this case it seems it would be a very good idea.

I hope this is helpful.
 Wimknoester - Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:57 am

Hi John,

Thanks for your advice. I will indeed seek for a second opinion before I will agree to surgery. In your reply you mentioned that surgery would be needed in case of insufficient blood return, but how can this be checked?

Wim
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:04 am

User avatar Hi -

I would expect that insufficient venous blood return would manifest itself the same way in this area as in others more commonly affected: by swelling due to accumulation of fluid.

Let us know how your second opinion turns out. Good luck to you.
 Wimknoester - Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:19 am

Hi John,

I went for a second opinion at another hospital. After investigation by the doctor there, they concluded that there was no medical need for surgery now. There is no swelling and I don't have any symptoms of pain. Only in case problems would occur, surgery was recommended. Another thing they mentioned was that I must have this enlarged vein already from childhood.

Thanks for your advice,

Wim
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:54 pm

User avatar Good deal. It probably has been there all along, and just became more noticeable of late. Hopefully it won't cause any problems and that'll be that. Thanks for following up here.