Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: pain in underside of penis

 tesco3178 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:35 am

hi there i am a 22yr old male who is healthy other than this porblem, for years now i have had to use the bathroom more regulaly than most typically every 2 hrs day and night but thought nothing of it till the pain started, have had a camera inserted but only shows a cracked sensitive bladder wall and am now on vesicar 5mg which seem to help most of the time excepts a day or 2 after ejacultion when urinating becames extremly painfull and sometimes i cant go, what can be causing this as my local hosp don't seem to have many suggestions left and how can i go about fixing it and getting on with a normal life? any suggestions would be appreciated many thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:11 pm

User avatar Hello,

What you described is known as Interstitial cystitis (IC)/ painful bladder syndrome (PBS) / Overactive bladder syndrome.

The hallmarks of interstitial cystitis painful bladder syndrome (PBS) are:
- Urgency without incontinence
-Daytime frequency more than 8 voids per day
-Nighttime frequency more than 4 voids per night
-Bladder pain is usually relieved by voiding
- Sometimes the pain is felt like that of penile origin.

No proven cause for the disease yet, theories include: an autoimmune, hereditary, infectious or allergic condition.

Symptoms may get worse after stress or the intake of caffeine containing beverages like tea, coffee, cola, etc, and by alcohol. Probably after sexual intercourse the symptoms increase due to pelvic congestion.

Medications, regulation of diet and fluid intake and special type of exercises are helpful but none is curable.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us