Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Possible UTI / Lasting Lymph Node Trouble

24anonym12 - Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:24 pm

Hello - I am an eighteen year old college student.

Problem:
Swollen lymph nodes on left side of crotch area, and almost a lingering uncomfortable feeling too.

Background info:
About a month ago I went to the doctors because I had a burning pain during urination that had lasted a few days. Accompanied with that, a few lymph nodes on the left side of my crotch became swollen and sore. About a week beforehand, I had had sex numerous times on the weekend (with condoms) with my steady girlfriend, whom I've been dating for the past 2.5 years. I am certain that neither of us were unfaithful, so I don't see how STDs could have been a factor. But also, around a few days before the burning occurred, the tip of my penis brushed against the inside of the toilet that I share with my suitemates here at college (I don't know if that could have been a factor or not). Anyway, I went to the doctors and they did tests for a urinary tract infection, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. In the meantime, just in case, I was treated for both of the STDs with antibiotics. Around a week later I got the tests back and all three were negative. The burning sensation is long gone, but my lymph nodes are still swollen even after a month. Sometimes it creates a slight, uncomfortable feeling as well. Within the past month I've also taken Amoxyicillan for an ear infection - more antibiotics (in case you need to know that too).
Do you know what could be causing this or have any insight?
Do you think there are any serious/harmful consequences if I wait it out to see if they go back to normal?

Thank you very much.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:43 am

Lymph nodes are the bodies filter system so when there is an infection they do sometimes enlarge, and by the way, often don't return to normal. If the nodes aren't increasing in size, it is likely due to the infection that you had. If they happen to start becoming larger or you have any other signs or symptoms of infection etc. I would suggest that you make a repeat appointment with your family doctor to rule out any other underlying cause. I hope this helps.