Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Cystoscopy Tomorrow, but Might Have a Cold

Mickee004 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 am

I am scheduled to have a cystoscopy done tomorrow morning. Today I have had a slight sore throat, I was coughing quite a bit earlier, my nose is plugged, I feel exhausted for no reason, my ears hurt, and I have a horrible sinus headache. Will my doctor still do my cystoscopy?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying and hope your problem has been resolved.
Having sore throat and mild cough do not contraindicate cystoscopy.

Your doctor might consider postponing the procedure if you have severe infection with fever or low blood counts that indicate a weak immune system.

Physicians usually prescribe you antibiotics during and following cystoscopy to avoid infectious complications. So you will be covered anyways.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
 Mickee004 - Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:24 pm

Thank you very much for your response. I'm sure you're very busy, so no big deal on the later response. I ended up having to postpone my cystoscopy until yesterday because my doctor was ill last month the day I went in to get it done. They thought that I might have interstitial cystitis, but the cystoscopy showed that I do not. There were some blood vessels that had hemorrhaged and a small area of metaplasia. She prescribed me a month's worth of Levaquin to take, but to be honest I don't remember why that was. (I'm shocked I remember any of it with the pills and the shot of Toradal I had to take.) She should that it should hopefully take care of the symptoms of frequency and incomplete emptying that I was having. Also, I ended up having bronchitis (and still do), but my doctor said that as long as I am taking pills for it, she could still do the procedure. Thank you again for your response.