Question: Chlamydia and UTI please help!

Helpmepleez13 - Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:26 am

I have recently been diagnosed with Chlamydia. The problem is that I have never had sexual intercourse, oral sex, anal sex, or any kind of fooling around that might have resulted in getting Chlamydia. I should note that I have been getting what I believe are recurrent urinary tract infections for several months. The main problem has been the feeling of needing to urinate all the time. But in the last month I have been having pain in my abdomen area. It feels cramped, inflamed, or like something is going to burst. Every time I go to the doctor I get prescribed antibiotics and the problem returns and it has only gotten worse. It also seems like the problem returns after I drink alcohol. I believe that is what is re triggering these infections. Can I never drink alcohol again? Could I get Chlamydia some other way besides having sex? What should I do about my recurrent UTI's if antibiotics don't work? Is there another diagnosis I might have? Thank You

(PS I have seen three different Urologists)

(PS I have been on anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs for about 6 years. I recently stopped taking them in February. I have been having my Urological problems since June.)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:47 pm

This is quiet unusual, Chlamydia infection is known to be a sexually transmitted disease and the other mode of transmission is during child birth from the mother to her child causing mainly eye infection.

It is an infection that can produce no symptoms or uretheral discharge and a burning sensation when urinating. Pain in the lower abdomen is not uncommon.

Diagnosis is done by culture the organism from the patient discharge.The test is very accurate and I never heard about false positive results.

If you have doubts about the diagnosis you may repeat the test (if you did not start antibiotics) and discuss this with your doctor. You better repeat the test after completion of therapy to make sure you have been cured and the organism was eradicated to avoid recurrent attacks and also to be reassured.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him all your concern.

Hope you find this information is useful.
Please keep us updated.