Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Chlamydia and UTI please help!

 Helpmepleez13 - Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:26 am

I have recently been diagnosed with Chlamydia. The problem is that I have never had sexual intercourse, oral sex, anal sex, or any kind of fooling around that might have resulted in getting Chlamydia. I should note that I have been getting what I believe are recurrent urinary tract infections for several months. The main problem has been the feeling of needing to urinate all the time. But in the last month I have been having pain in my abdomen area. It feels cramped, inflamed, or like something is going to burst. Every time I go to the doctor I get prescribed antibiotics and the problem returns and it has only gotten worse. It also seems like the problem returns after I drink alcohol. I believe that is what is re triggering these infections. Can I never drink alcohol again? Could I get Chlamydia some other way besides having sex? What should I do about my recurrent UTI's if antibiotics don't work? Is there another diagnosis I might have? Thank You

(PS I have seen three different Urologists)

(PS I have been on anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs for about 6 years. I recently stopped taking them in February. I have been having my Urological problems since June.)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:47 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is quiet unusual, Chlamydia infection is known to be a sexually transmitted disease and the other mode of transmission is during child birth from the mother to her child causing mainly eye infection.

It is an infection that can produce no symptoms or uretheral discharge and a burning sensation when urinating. Pain in the lower abdomen is not uncommon.

Diagnosis is done by culture the organism from the patient discharge.The test is very accurate and I never heard about false positive results.

If you have doubts about the diagnosis you may repeat the test (if you did not start antibiotics) and discuss this with your doctor. You better repeat the test after completion of therapy to make sure you have been cured and the organism was eradicated to avoid recurrent attacks and also to be reassured.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him all your concern.

Hope you find this information is useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us