Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Urethra irritation or infection? Your advice?

 marcallen - Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:16 pm

I need some advice for a medical advice. Here is my situation…
The first week of July 2008 I started getting an irritation in my urethra (just inside the pee hole). It is now the end of September and it is no worse or better (about the same). Details:
1. There was no discharge
2. No pain while peeing
3. Mild pain during sex
4. Urine culture neg.
5. UA neg.
6. HSV neg.
7. HIV neg.
8. RPR neg.
9. GC neg.
10. Chlamydia neg.
11. Treated for flag. (just in case)
12. Spot test for HPV (vinegar soaked bandage) did not show any white (Doctor said this was not a perfect test, but did not show anything nonetheless)
My regular doctor said he cannot do anything for me as he has no clue to what it is. He ruled out obvious stuff.
Part two…thins get complicated. I just had lithotripsy (shockwave). The Urologist tested my prostrate and said it was of normal size (no issues). My PSA was fine last February. The urologist seems to think that this irritation was caused by the stone (upstream) in my Kidney. He also said that stress can cause this in men too. He did not want to examine me for this and just wanted to focus on the stone.
So, most of the stones are now gone. I have no answers and I still have this irritation just inside my urethra. No one seems concerned (except me). Can you give me advice on what this is? If not, can you suggest an approach to help diagnose what I have (or am experiencing)? This is driving me crazy! Thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:24 pm

User avatar Hello,
Your symptoms can be shared by many conditions including genitourinary tract infection (like urinary tract infection, prostatitis or urethritis) and stones.

Urine analysis and urine culture are usually enough to exclude infection and it is good that your doctor excluded serious infections.

Having a history of stones makes recurrent stone or even increase in the concentration of urine solutes (like urates and oxalates) a likely cause. This can be also checked by simple urine analysis. Try to observe if these symptoms increase when you do not drink enough (concentrated urine) and vice versa.

Inflammationof the epithelium lining external opening of the penis due to a contact with an irritant or after sexual activity may give similar clinical picture. Direct clinical examination is essential to rule out the case.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him repeating the urine analysis and culture as well as radiological investigations to exclude recurrent stones.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 confussed121 - Thu May 14, 2009 5:40 am

I have a slight pain more of an irratation at the head of my penis feels like right at or inside the opening. There is no disgharge or any other symptoms that I know of.

Had unprotected sex about a week or two before getting this irratation, but also have used vasoline to masterbate since then can it be from vasoline getting inside. Or is it more serious like from my sexual activity.


 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:38 am

User avatar Hi,
Having gone through your very detailed account & your social history, i wish to make the following comments.
a) one of the causes of referred pain in the tip of the penis is seminal vesiculitis - a condition at times overlooked.
b) Intestinal protozoal infections occassionally can cause UTI's- again, at times overrlooked.
c) The need to investigate and treat (if needed) one's sexual partner/spouse - again, at times overlooked.
As Dr. Safaa Mahmoud has rightly suggested, please keep in touch with your doctor and keep on the look out for recurrent urinary stones periodically.
Avoid using vaseline. Multipurpose lubricating gels are perhaps safer.
I hope you are free from the problem by now.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us