Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: chronic utis, what can i do about them?

 amyfoot - Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 pm

ive done everything, cranberry pills every night, urinating after sex, showers asap, cotton underwear, EVERYTHING, and i still get a uti literally everytime i have sex. is there an antibiotic i can take everyday to prevent them, or a pill to take after sex? also who do i ask, the gyno or a physician? and i don't have insurance, does anyone know if planned parenthood (the only place ive done my exams) can help? should i get my partener checked out? im desperate. this has been such a cronic problem for me, i feel like ive just been having one long uti for months now.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:09 am

User avatar Hi Amyfoot,

Some women experience these symptoms just as you're describing. There are a few things you can consider. First, have your infections been verified as bacterial infections? Occasionally, the urethra can become irritated from intercourse and cause symptoms mimicking a urinary tract infection without actually having a bacterial cause (symptoms including pain and burning).

Women who do get bacterial infections following intercourse and have not found relief with the treatments you have tried can sometimes find relief by taking a dose of an antibiotic following intercourse or taking a daily low dose antibiotic as a preventative treatment to keep bacteria from growing. If you are having bacterial UTI's you may want to talk with your doctor about trying something like this.

I am not aware of whether or not planned parenthood can provide these services. Your gynecologist (or primary care doctor) can help you determine if this type of treatment will help you. Often, if you need, there are clinics that can see patients on a free or reduced fee basis. Your local health department can help with this.

Also, if there is any possibility of an STD I would recommend you be tested for these.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us