Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Urethral/Penile/Meatal Problem... Please advise!!

Allyess - Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:55 am

I had unprotected sex last year, i thought I had caught something as i had symptoms and was tested negative for gon, syph etc. The urologist gave me 4 weeks 2 and 2 of different types of antibiotics at the time as he thought I had NGU, shortly afterwards I noticed that when my penis is erect the head of my penis is covered in small red bumps and broken blood vessels and the skin in very stretched and shiny, I went back and he gave me antifungal cream, it didn't work so I left things as they were as I thought that it could be my guilt manifesting itself as symptoms, I don't think its guilt now. Continuing, I get burning when I urinate sometimes and I also get a sharp shooting pain when urinating sometimes. The opening of my urethra is also always red and irritated. I get pain in my left testicle and some sort of discomfort around the area between anus and tip of penis, it feels like a twitching and as if fluid is being extracted but it isnt. Also when I a flacid there is always a red blush/rash/quite patchy to my meatus and it feels as if my urethra has hardened in some way. I also had like a weepy graze type thing which was painless and cleared up after a day or 2, I think I may have scratched myself. I also have intermitant periods where it is itchy around my pubic area. This has been going on a year now and I thought it was prostatitis but that wouldn't cause bumps and discomfort on my urethral meatus would it?

This is causing me untold worries, I have had a urine flow test and digital examination by a nurse and apparently my prostate is fine. i am going back in october for a follow up with a urologist. I week or 2 before I had unprotected sex I caused myself pain when I was sitting on the toilet and I strained/pushed too hard, I got a severe pain in my urethra which took my breath away but only lasted a few seconds, could I have damged my urethra this way and are these symptoms due to this, it does feel as if my meatus has been infected.

Any ideas? I don't think its Herpes... but its always on my mind!!

Thankyou very much in advance!!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:16 am

Sounds to me very much like herpes genitalis.But, a final diagnosis will certainly need a clinical examination. The urethral symptoms such as the ones mentioned by you also can occur with Herpes infection.Therefore,get yourself examined by your GP, who then may be in a better position to refer you to the right speciality.
(Next time, protect yourself and your partner as well).
Good luck!