Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Urethral/Penile/Meatal Problem... Please advise!!

Allyess - Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:55 am

I had unprotected sex last year, i thought I had caught something as i had symptoms and was tested negative for gon, syph etc. The urologist gave me 4 weeks 2 and 2 of different types of antibiotics at the time as he thought I had NGU, shortly afterwards I noticed that when my penis is erect the head of my penis is covered in small red bumps and broken blood vessels and the skin in very stretched and shiny, I went back and he gave me antifungal cream, it didn't work so I left things as they were as I thought that it could be my guilt manifesting itself as symptoms, I don't think its guilt now. Continuing, I get burning when I urinate sometimes and I also get a sharp shooting pain when urinating sometimes. The opening of my urethra is also always red and irritated. I get pain in my left testicle and some sort of discomfort around the area between anus and tip of penis, it feels like a twitching and as if fluid is being extracted but it isnt. Also when I a flacid there is always a red blush/rash/quite patchy to my meatus and it feels as if my urethra has hardened in some way. I also had like a weepy graze type thing which was painless and cleared up after a day or 2, I think I may have scratched myself. I also have intermitant periods where it is itchy around my pubic area. This has been going on a year now and I thought it was prostatitis but that wouldn't cause bumps and discomfort on my urethral meatus would it?

This is causing me untold worries, I have had a urine flow test and digital examination by a nurse and apparently my prostate is fine. i am going back in october for a follow up with a urologist. I week or 2 before I had unprotected sex I caused myself pain when I was sitting on the toilet and I strained/pushed too hard, I got a severe pain in my urethra which took my breath away but only lasted a few seconds, could I have damged my urethra this way and are these symptoms due to this, it does feel as if my meatus has been infected.

Any ideas? I don't think its Herpes... but its always on my mind!!

Thankyou very much in advance!!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:16 am

User avatar Hi,
Sounds to me very much like herpes genitalis.But, a final diagnosis will certainly need a clinical examination. The urethral symptoms such as the ones mentioned by you also can occur with Herpes infection.Therefore,get yourself examined by your GP, who then may be in a better position to refer you to the right speciality.
(Next time, protect yourself and your partner as well).
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us