Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Erection on Exercise Bike

chrisc1515 - Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:30 pm

Whenever I use the exercise bike I am getting aroused and this is not wanted. Need to know how to avoid and if this is normal?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:18 pm

This is not at all uncommon (nor abnormal) but can certainly be annoying at best. It is less likely as one gets closer to middle age, but even then, depending on the individual, it can still be a problem.

My suggestions, such as they are, would be to a) use a longer cool-down period, so that any physical motion or contact which may be contributing to this is reduced before you're ready to actually dismount, and b) if you don't already wear jockey-type underwear, start wearing it at the gym. It not only helps rein things in, but also helps produce more body heat locally, which can be of some help in reducing the intensity of unwanted erections.

Other than that, try finding something that distracts you, as this had been a time-honored way of avoiding unwanted erections. Eventually this should take care of itself. I wish I could give you some magic answer, but I'm afraid this is just one of those annoying things that come with being a young male.

Good luck to you.