Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Problem with Dry, Flaky Penis (Possibly with excess skin)

 dazed&confused - Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:10 am

Hi I am an 18-19 year old and recently have noticed flaking on the penis shaft (towards the head).This is not itchy or noticeable until i check. I am a virgin and have not received oral sex in at least 3 months so it is not STI related. It also appears that there is excess skin (that wasn't there previously) around the head of the penis (i am uncircumcised). Also the vein that runs along the bottom of the shaft and into the head looks as if it has stretched. Also the first time i noticed the skin on the head of the penis had a couple of little holes in it and was a bit bubbly.

Note. Do not believe it to be from excess masturbation or similar theory.
I have had it for no greater than a month.

I have attached pictures ( but couldn't find my camera so they look a bit silly)
as below

Please do not post these images on other sites, for diagnostic only

Thankyou in anticipation

 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:09 pm

User avatar Hello,The common condition that affecting the glans mainly in the uncircumsized is balanitis often caused by fungi,and bacteria.Mostly caused by not proper cleansing,and sometimes by excessive too.Not a problem for it is treatable with ease.If it is due to monilia external application of antifungals would do.The bacterial component may need antibiotic again mostly applications,a few may need a course of oral antibiotic.Some may need circumcision if it recurs often.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us