Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: UTI after sex

212035865 - Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:46 am

I am a 29 year old male and my partner is 35 years old. Everytime we have sex she gets a urinary track infection and she never had this problem before. Intercourse last about 30 minutes and we do have unprotected sex.We both have good hygiene and she does urinate afteter sex. Is there something wrong with me? Can I prevent this?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:19 pm

User avatar Hello -

Given all the information you've provided is correct then what I strongly suspect is that this isn't repeated infections, but one that's never quite resolved, and which is stirred up by the friction of penetration and meanwhile lies dormant. There's no apparent reason why your partner should otherwise continue to "catch" one UTI after another, either from you nor from thin air. The remaining most likely explanation is that this is one which never quite resolves, and which sex provides just enough prodding of the condition that it becomes symptomatic again. I would strongly suggest she see a urologist and be worked up for this, as she may be suffering from some sort of exotic situation where something has walled itself off in the urinary tract and is being "knocked loose" during intercourse. If so, you may also have picked it up without any symptoms and may eventually even be returning it, so that it might never go away without specifically targeted treatment.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us here, especially if there is any other pertinent information you may have.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us