Question: Blood in Urine/Tear in Bladder

pbrehm124 - Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:31 pm

My mother was admitted to the hospital with a tear in her bladder, and she was released once the bleeding stopped and she stablized, They did a cystogram and the tear was healed. The urologist scoped her bladder, but was unable to see it completely as it was still swollen so we have to go back in 2 weeks. He made a comment that it was possible she had a hole in the inside where the umbilical cord was attached when she was born, and it just now resulted in a problem. Is there any merit to this explanation???
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 pm

What the doctor was referring to is an umbilical fistula, which is not really that unusual, although more often the connection is with the digestive tract, but it can also connect with the bladder or urethra, and these are often present from birth, but at some point become open enough to cause noticeable problems. The follow-up will probably tell the tale on this, and if it's present, it is usually a very simple fix, if it even requires a fix. But the bottom line is that yes, this does happen. It sounds odd, but is really quite common.

I hope this is helpful to you.