Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Flowmax user with burning sensation when urinating

pianogent - Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:22 pm

I Went to my Doctor with problems with frequant urination, He said I probably had an infected prostate, and put me on batrium for 30 days. I still had the problem, so he put me on Flowmax. Within one day of use I noticed a burning sensation when urinating. I've been taking Flowmax for 2 weeks now, and the burning is getting worse. It feels like Im peeing razors, extremly painful. The tip of my penis is red where the pee comes out. It is Oct. 19 , and my appointment is not until Nov. 11. What should I do?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 pm

While Flowmax may have made sense at the time, if the infection hasn't resolved this can only make the discomfort worse. Prostatitis is very painful anyway, so it's a tossup as to whether the Flowmax is a good or bad idea. Urination would otherwise become more difficult and would still be painful. If you have completed the course of Bactrim you may need a change of antibiotic or re-evalution of the problem. With an infected prostate, as with any other infection, a blood test to check for white count would help confirm the infection (since it sounds as though your doctor may have assumed the diagnosis without adequate tests). If you do, in fact, have prostatitis, you likely are running a fever and feeling rather lousy overall. Sometimes it requires a second course of antibiotics to knock these infections down.

Given the degree of discomfort and failure to improve, I would call the doctor, explain the problem as it is now, and see if he won't bump up your appointment based on your discomfort. If not, then you might want to resort to an acute-care walkin facility for relief.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck. Please follow up with us here.