Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Chronic Kidney pain??

Veruca_rox - Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:24 pm

I just turned 20. My right kidney hurts all the time, sometimes it becomes quite severe. I had a stone over a year ago and had a stent put in. It was taken out, obviously and they said my stone was gone but my kidney always hurts. the other thing is, I have had an on and off pretty severe eating disorder for about 6 years. Could you tell me what might be wrong with it? or what i can do to ease the pain. I don't have health insurance.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:15 pm

User avatar Hello,

It is possible that another stone has been formed. Another possibility is fibrosis and narrowing of the ureter after stent occurred as a complication.

If recurrent stone is to be the cause then understanding the reason why it is formed (nature) for avoiding its recurrence is mandatory.

If the reason is narrowing of the ureter, then evaluation of its degree and its effect on the kidney (back pressure) and consultation of surgical urologist is needed.

Other causes that may be unrelated are of gastrointestinal origin like gastroduodenal and biliary tract causes considering your digestion problems.
IBS is a disease diagnosed by exclusion and is a consideration in all causes of abdominal pain and maldigestion.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor for thorough clinical evaluation and exclusion of recurrent renal stones. He might recommend simple urine analysis to exclude infections and an US abdomen & pelvis or plain X-Ray to evaluate the urinary system.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us