Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Burst Blood Vessel in Penis

 Scott1 - Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:54 pm


Whilst having sex with my girlfriend last night I think I burst a blood vessel in the shaft of my penis. There is no pain, but there is a quite large area of dark red / purple blood under the skin. Is this anything to worry about-will it go away by itself or do i need to seek further medical attention?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:46 pm

User avatar Hi there -

This is unusual but it does happen. Normally the broken vessel will resolve on its own, assuming it is allowed time and not traumatized by further use. Sometimes this is caused by a genetic weakness in a given vessel or due to capilary fragility. Sometimes it's a matter of abnormally low levels of vitamin K -- but don't try fixing this on your own, especially if you don't know whether or not that's what caused it.

First order of business is to give it a week or two for healing and clearing up. If there is any swelling or any new symptom develops (especially swelling), you should bring it to the attention of your doctor at once. Otherwise, it sounds, so far, as though it's healing normally.

Also, if this should happen again in the same area, I'd definitely bring it to the attention of a doctor. Once is just one of those things. More than once and there may be a problem that needs addressing.

Best of luck to you. Stay in touch with us and let us know how this works out.
 CERBERUS - Mon May 25, 2009 6:55 pm

I have this exact same problem. Yesterday while having particularly rough sex i stubbed my penis, proceeded to finish to climax with no pain or discomfort. However when i pulled out and looked down there was a swollen bump on the top middle part of my penis under the foreskin, that looked to be filled with blood, apparently out of nowhere. I though somehow a testicle had made it's way up in there somehow, but after verifying both were in place, i discarded it thinking it would subside. It has stayed the same basic swollen size for a day, but now appears to be getting more purple as a bruise would. So my question is basically what is this? Is it a burst blood vessel as described above, maybe a vein got hit or bent causing it to bleed but since there was no cut the blood is trapped under foreskin, or is it just a bruise caused by blunt trauma? I don't know if I need to go to a doctor or just leave it to heal on it's own, there is no real pain or discomfort, it seems contained in a band on the top of my penis shaft, not spreading to the head, nor to the under side of the shaft. It feels pretty soft like a normal semi- erect penis , just with a dark red/purple colored bubble-esque resting atop. So how long should i give it to heal on it's own before becoming concrened?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue May 26, 2009 12:50 am

User avatar Hello --

This is a fairly common problem in the extremities, less so in the penis, but the mechanism is still the same, and it is usually the result of often very mild blunt trauma. Usually a vein smaller than it would appear (closer to capilary size than a trunk vein) will break, and this is often attributable to a deficiency of vitamin K if it happens often. Apparently you were jammed in a way that just caused a weakened area in a small vein to break. The swelling and discoloration is essentially a bruise, although with more bleeding into the tissues than usual, which is now resolving based on your description. It should continue to disperse, with some progressive changes in color and possibly some dispersion into adjacent tissue so that as the swelling goes down the discoloration should spread and lighten til it eventually disappears. It's usually just an idiosyncratic injury, and you're really fortunate in not having had any marked pain with this, at least at the time it happened, as these can often hurt pretty bad, especially when it happens in an extremity, though not for a very long period of time.

The swelling should be gone in a matter of days. The discoloration could last a week or two, but slowly fading. If there is any other symptom that begins, such as new swelling, increased or new pain, or anything like that, you probably should bring it to the attention of a doctor. Otherwise this should resolve before too long.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck and follow up with us here as needed.
 tft209 - Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Recently I encountered a similar situation. As I was about to ejaculate the grip on my penis was probably too hard and right before ejaculation, I felt a quick rupture. It wasn't very painful, but I knew something wasn't right. Moments later, there was blood coming out of my urethra. I'm quite worried since this has never happened to me before. The bleeding seems to have gone away overnight, but there is still some VERY light bleeding of blood that is light-red in color with some clear substance. Will it heal on its own? Or should I seek medical attention?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 am

User avatar Hi Scott1,
Your history leads me to believe that It is likely that there was a minor fracture of the penis. The discolouration that you have mentioned might have hopefully gotten better by now.If you have no problems with erection or ejaculation, just forget it....but remember to be careful in the future to avoid this.
 4242 - Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:48 pm

Last evening I had intercourse with my girlfriend and didn't bring any of my condoms with, so had to use one of the ones she had and it was really tight once I was fully erect, almost to the point of cutting off circulation. We finished and I felt no pain/discomfort of any sort, but this morning I looked at my penis and there is a tiny red/purple-ish dot on the head, next to the urethra and it wasn't there yesterday. I am wondering if this could just be a burst blood vessel from the condom being so tight and pressure building up in the head of the penis, or if I should worry further and consult a doctor? It is not raised at all, seems like it is just under the skin and is a very small dot, like a pencil dot. I am going to give it a day or two and see if anything changes, but for now I am worrying nonetheless since I wore a condom and am hoping it didnt have any breaks in it from being too tight.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance ~
 reelb1gskunk - Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:10 pm

I have a similar issue. About a year ago I had a swollen/broken blood vessel on the right side of my penis, when erect it was clearly a blood vessel or a vein or something, but when flaccid it appeared more like a sort of formless lump. It wasn't discolored or painful and went away soon. Since then, it has recurred several times, usually after periods of frequent masturbation or sex, but always disappears again relatively soon. It has been recurring more frequently lately, after almost every instant of sexual activity. It is always a sort of formless lump now, seems to be larger, and is less identifiable as a blood vessel or whatever. It only goes away if I make sure to abstain from masturbation or sex for several days. I haven't been concerned because it isn't painful and it always goes away, but I'm more worried since it seems to have changed. What is happening and why? Should I be concerned?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:32 pm

User avatar Hi 4242,
I don't think you should worry excessively about this incident.The cuffs of most condoms are fairly well designed to take care of problems like this! I doubt very much if it can get tight enough to cut off circulation to the organ in question(although it might have felt so).
The right sized condom would be comfortable though!
Best wishes!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:36 pm

User avatar Hi reelb1gskunk,
It is probable that it is a venous malformation or just a prominent vein.
But to be on the safer side, just show it to your GP.
Good day!
 paulsusie1 - Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:13 am

Hello there,
Well I'm 21, when I was 16 it was my first time when I started to masterbate, and since that time I use to do it like six time everyday. Still a virgin age 18, I then noticed a purple mark on the head of my penis, no pain no lump and same texture as the rest of the head. I don't recall the size but now I'm 21 I have safe sex once or twice a day and their still a purple spot on right above it a redish mark ( with the purple and red spot it's a size of a dime). It doesn't hurt, feels the same, and when my penis gets hard it fades away a little bit when it gets back to normals it's back to purple and red. Since 18 throgh 21 it's just their. It was October 2009 I didn't have sex or masterbate for a week and it seem to fade at least the color away, but back to sex it goes back. Please helpd
 Lundgren - Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:24 am

Hi, I sometimes use a penis (vacuum) pump before I have sex with my girlfriend.
This week I used the pump a little longer then usual. Suddenly I felt a tingling sensation (no pain) and I saw a 'drop' of blood that seemed to be 'sitting; on the glans/head of my penis.
The 'drop' is soft, like a mole, but seems to be filled with blood...It doesnt bleed and I have no pain.
Is this is burst bloodvessel? What should I do?


 tdot1324 - Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 am

ok the other day i have an erection which was fine but after in gauging in sexual intercourse there was a a bubble looking like it was filled with blood under my skin on the middle of my shaft and now there one spot on my penis that hurts when touched what is wrong with me is my penis broken.
 JCles - Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:13 am

about 4 days ago I was having sex with my girl friend but we were trying
this engasment pills that make you last longer there are call stiffnite well we
stared to have sex that pill stard to work but then I felt this tiny little bit of pain when my girl friend move wrong then I pulled out then I notice that my penis was staring to swallowed up I didn't really paid attetion cuz I was in that momment then after it got worres cuz then I notice like this purple color on my penis like if it was burs or something but now that swallowing is gone but still purple looking and on that side of my penis I fill one of my venis swallend n that rest are just normal could this have been cuz by that pill or just that fact that I Pulled that veni while I was intercos with my girls or should I go to a doctor????
Thank you and I hope to heard back
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:35 pm

User avatar Hi JCles,
It is likely that it was a minor trauma that happened during the sexual activity.It could even be a minor degree of fracture of the penis. I am not aware of what particular medication you were taking at that time. A drug induced lesion can not be entirely ruled out.However, i feel that you should consult your doctor soon and get assessed.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us