Question: Lump at base of each teste come and go w/light pain

Svensk - Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Assuming I have Bi-lateral Varicocele, Advise please!

I do not know if I actually have this condition. Based on my symptoms I have and everything I have read about every single testicular issue I can consider, I have decided this is my problem. I may end up rambling a bit here and not staying within a proper rhetoric, but I am a glass blower not an english major.

So here is the deal:

For a little while now, maybe 6 months or so, there are two little, what seem to be, dilated or swollen lumps, one on the underside of both testicles. They are in the exact same place on both sides and are not consistent, they come and go. I obviously went through my serious serious cancer scare, but realized this was not the case based on the fact that the lumps appear and disappear at what seem to be totally random times. I then came to realize that these were not actually growths, but the single vein that runs underneath the testicle was enlarging. I find it happens more often on the left, occasionally on the right, and occasionally on both testicles. As a glass blower I obviously do a lot of sitting and standing and a lot of pretty decent heavy lifting. Not heavy lifting in the "Oh S*** I Just got a Hernia" sense of things, but I make pretty large pieces of glass and they are swung around and carried on a long metal pipe, so leverage is cut down and weight on the body is increased. I do this every single day and have for the past 3 years of my life. There is also a lot of stress based on my chosen profession, and I believe that is additive to any condition.

There are some days when there are no problems, no pain in the testicles, no lumps after or during work, and it's all good, I can "relax my balls". Other days this is not the case. Here is an example. I was drinking with some friends last Wednesday and I got pretty wasted. I came home, intoxicated, and noticed my little "problem" and FREAKED out (cancer scare freak out). I scoured the interweb as stressed as can be to find little reassurance. Luckily I was inebriated enough that I could fall asleep/pass out, if that wasnt the case I would have been up all night. From Thursday until this morning I had no problems, if it did occur that I noticed it would only last for say 10 minutes and there was no aching pain in the obvious region. However, today, it was totally different. I woke up and went to work, and it was that aching pain almost all day. I was not bustin' self checks in the studio all day but I assume the little lump things were there. After I got home and sorta chilled out, took a shower, and took of the ol' boxer briefs, it went away pretty quickly, within 30 minutes or so. It is important to note that it is not intense pain of any sort. Just a very minimal ache that sorta comes and goes depending on how much attention I decide to give it.

I do not eat as well as I should, especially when I am living alone. As I research this specific condition I realize that my diet my have something to do with this. I drink a good amount and enjoy frozen pizzas very much. When I am at home or living with friends, which was the case this summer, I eat much healthier and more "prepared" foods. I do not recall having this problem at all this summer, at least not the pain aspect of things.

I will be returning home this December, I work in Europe at the moment, where I have already scheduled a meeting with my physician and told him I am expecting to get an ultrasound. So that advice is not needed, I know I need to do that and I will in a month and a half. I am really just wondering if people think that this is my actual condition and whether or not I should be worried about it. Aside from the pain I have no problem with misshaped testicles or overheated testicles. I have not gotten a sperm count done but my testosterone is doing just fine as far as I can tell. I would just like to know if I should be freaking out or not, if someone thinks I may or may not need surgery (I pray to god I don't, S*** freaks me out!), and other other advise. I am going to start a totally new diet here based on this condition I have, even if I don't have this it can't help since I am living pretty unhealthy at the moment.

Thanks for anything you guys can throw out there, nothing like a bunch of anonymous dudes able to talk openly about their balls!

Cheers Mates
Svensk
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:59 pm

From your extensive description of those "bilateral lumps under the testicles that come and go at random" and the observation that a "single vein that runs underneath the testicle was enlarging", i find it difficult (i am certain most medical doctors would be as well) to place an anatomical or a pathological diagnosis.
You do have an increased risk for varicoceles due to your profession but, anatomically, the 'pampiniform plexus' which dilates to form the varicocele is 'above' the testes.
Epididymitis occuring bilaterally, affecting the tails of the epididymis, and as you have described "if it did occur that I noticed it would only last for say 10 minutes"- again seems out of place.
As your condition appears to be a very unusually strange, i suggest that you must consult a urologist who would have a chance to examine you and arrive at a diagnosis and we hope to hear from you what the final diagnosis was.
Thank you for such an interesting post.