Question: Pain and lump in left testicle

Taketheleap - Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:48 am

Okay, I'm 19 years old, and I work out once a week. I don't strain myself, or push to rediculous weights or anything. In between a few weight sets last tuesday I was doing jumping jacks and on one particular motion (when you bring your legs together) it felt like My testicles didn't shift around right and they stayed side by side and so they got pinned in between my legs. I assumed the minor pain I felt was normal and stopped working out and went home. The next day my testicle was a bit swollen and painful (I assumed that would be normal, like a bruise.) and I continued on with my day. It's been three days now and I feel a lot of discomfort, but this morning I woke up and the swelling had gone down. I started to check everything out to see if I was bruised or anything and I noticed an odd lump just behind and underneath my left testicle. Now I have no kind of insurance and I'm a single parent, living from paycheck to paycheck, I can't afford the surgery for a hernia, and I haven't gotten to the doctor yet to see If I have it because money is very very tight right now. I'm crossing my fingers hoping this isn't a hernia, because being out of work for recovery just absolutely is not an option. I'm hoping someone can tell me that all of this is normal and it will go away, but I don't want to wait if it's something that can progress, get worse and do permenant damage.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Early diagnosis and proper management of any scrotal mass or swelling is very important to avoid permanent damage. Thus, direct clinical examination is essential.

Minor blunt trauma to the scrotum can cause pain and its swelling.
Mild self limiting inflammation in the scrotal wall usually needs decreased scrotal mobility. This can be achieved by scrotal support, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications and rest for one or 2 days.

Some doctors recommend ice packs application in the early hours.
If these conservative measures fail in two days, your doctor would recommend ultrasound and Doppler studies to exclude testicular damage and vascular problems.

Other causes of scrotal swelling like hydrocele, hernia, and spermatocele should be excluded by clinical examination and radiologic evaluation.

- A hydrocele is a bag of clear fluid that collects in a sac around the testicle. It may be the result of a direct injury or occur spontaneously in the remnants of an embryonic sac that remains formed around the testicle from birth. Small hydroceles may hardly be noticed and often resolve without treatment.

- Hernia: It Occurs when the local support tissues weaken, allowing loops of the bowel to slip from the abdomen into the groin.

So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Please keep us updated.
 Going_In_Circles - Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:49 pm

i am a medical student. I am afraid that the swelling will be prmenant. Minor injury easily causes damage to the epididymus, which after that forms either of the following;
-a spermatocole, a sac full of sperm cells.
-an epididymal cyst, that contain thin fluid.

They do not cause any problems generally. Though they might influence your sperm cells passage, depending on their location, especially if there is constant increasing ache on that side due to blockage and build up of sperm cells.

You need a semen analysis and ultrasound to be done to rule out other illnesses and to confirm the diagnosis.

If they cause you sub-fertility you might need surgery, however i do not advice to carry any further surgery as this can risk exposing you body defence system to your sperm cells, which is more dangerous than the initial problem and will result in fertility.

If the semen analysis is ok and the ache subsides then you do not need to do anything about it, as removing it is contra-indicated.

All the best my friend.
 Dr Paul Turek - Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm

I agree with most things said on this post regarding testis pain and a "lump" after working out. If the pain continues more than 1-2 weeks I would seek medical care. The lump could reflect your discovery of normal anatomy or something abnormal. Most commonly, when men start to examine themselves, they find the comma shaped and doughy feeling epididymis behind the testis. Either that or the vas deferens or a clinical varicocele. These are normal.

Given your financial situation, I would perform weekly testis self examination. If the "lump" is tender or increases in size, you should seek medical attention. Most anatomical issues in the scrotum can be detected on physical examination and a scrotal ultasound is not needed.

Having said this, in men ages 17-35, testis cancer is very common. It almost always presents as a firmness or lump WITHIN the testis or enlargement of the testis but not as a mass or lump around the testis. It is also unusual for testis cancer to present with pain. If this is not quite clear to you, then you should also seek medical attention.