Question: feels like intestines are moving when I urinate

scitchr65 - Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:11 pm

I am a 43 year old female. For the past several months I feel as though my intestines are moving inside my abdomen when I urinate. It only happens when I am emptying my bladder. At the beginning of the urine flow, something inside my abdomen feels like it is shifting and then settling back into place. Almost as if my bladder becoming full caused my intestines to move slightly, only to have them move back in where are supposed to go when my bladder is emptied.

I know that this sounds really weird, but this NEVER happened before June of this year. Does this sound like something I should see a doctor about? I am concerned that someone will think I'm crazy!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:28 am

Your complaint is very unusual.There have been some studies trying to see if there is a link between micturition reflex and intestinal peristalsis.
(One study from the Netherlands has concluded that Micturition and phase III of the migrating motor complex of the intestines are associated in time).
Well, i mentioned this because of the very interesting question you have raised.

In your case, i suggest that you should get examined to exclude an incisional hernia(if your hysterectomy was abdominal) or an occult inguinal or femoral hernia which could cause such a problem.Thank you for this very thought- provoking post.
 scitchr65 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:57 pm

Thank you for your response. I will get it checked out. Regarding your thought about the hysterectomy, I did have an abdominal incision. Would the hernia be on the inside somewhere? I don't see anything weird externally.

This feeling seems to subside for awhile, then it is back again, for no apparent reason.

Again, thanks for your interest in me.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:35 am

Thanks for your response. Incisional hernias can be easily missed-even by doctors! Worthwhile getting an ultasound scan done.This will usually pick up doubtful ones.Best wishes!