Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: redness around urethra opening

neal123 - Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 pm

I have had a redness and a bit of swelling around the tip of my penis for several months now. I have been to the doctor and was given a shot of strong antibiotics as well as some pills on the second trip. The area is a red circle just around the opening that is very tender. Also on the edge of the opening there appears to be some swelling. Until recently with some of my other reading I hadn't put this problem together with a pressure in my lower abdomen (right side). Not sure if this is related or not. there is also discomfort with ejaculation and minor irritation with urination. I'm tired of paying doctor bills and meds that don't work! Any ideas?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 am

User avatar Hello,The most important here is to rule out NGU ie nongonococcal urethritis.This is caused by chlamydia trachomatis mainly.This only would respond to specific antibiotics like azithromycin.Trichomonas urethritis is another cause and may need metronidazole therapy.Your urine has to be examined for pus cells to rule out urethritis.Partner treatment is essential for NGU and trichomonas.Best wishes.