Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: redness around urethra opening

neal123 - Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 pm

I have had a redness and a bit of swelling around the tip of my penis for several months now. I have been to the doctor and was given a shot of strong antibiotics as well as some pills on the second trip. The area is a red circle just around the opening that is very tender. Also on the edge of the opening there appears to be some swelling. Until recently with some of my other reading I hadn't put this problem together with a pressure in my lower abdomen (right side). Not sure if this is related or not. there is also discomfort with ejaculation and minor irritation with urination. I'm tired of paying doctor bills and meds that don't work! Any ideas?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 am

User avatar Hello,The most important here is to rule out NGU ie nongonococcal urethritis.This is caused by chlamydia trachomatis mainly.This only would respond to specific antibiotics like azithromycin.Trichomonas urethritis is another cause and may need metronidazole therapy.Your urine has to be examined for pus cells to rule out urethritis.Partner treatment is essential for NGU and trichomonas.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us