Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Itching and pain while urinating

rustudent21 - Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Well, for the past week I have been having problems with my vaginal area. The vagina is very itchy and also my urethra , and I also have symptoms similar to an urinary tract infection. Pain when I pee, my urine smells, and I haven't had a full flow for a few days. I also noticed that my bladder is constantly feeling full and I have been extremely uncomfortable in the vaginal area. My OB/GYN isn't open, and I don't know how much of an emergency this might be.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 am

It is true your symptoms are suggestive of UTI.
In this case simple urine analysis would be useful as an initial test in the diagnosis.
Urine culture and sensitivity would be needed to identify the causative organism and describe the most effective antibiotic.

It is always better to start treatment early to avoid complications that may have either a chronic damaging effect or may mandate longer course of antibiotic.

Candida infection (vaginal) may give similar clinical picture and should be excluded too as well as STDS like herpes virus infection.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor, a thorough clinical history and direst clincal examination are essential.
Please keep us updated.
 TCat7 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:23 pm

I have had similar problems. Burning and pain when urinating, pain/burning arounf pee hole and vagina (constantly), dull, constant pain in my lower left abdomen, not able to have sex due to pain, bleeding while having sexual intercourse. I have had several tests done, urine analysis, urine culture, tests for STD's, all come back negative. I am at my wits end because my gyno can't seem to figure it out and neither can my urologist. It is affecting my sex life and it has become depressing that I cannot seem to get any answers from anyone. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cystitis? Interstitial cystitis? Chrones? Topical infection on vagina? Etc?
 musiclover307 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 am

I am a 24 year old female with urinary pain. I have been having the pain for 2 months. The pain is very inconsistent. Some days I will have it, others I wont. Sometimes it doesn't start hurting until after I urinate with an urge to urinate frequently. It gets unbearably uncomfortable to the point where I need to drink 30 oz of water just to make it more comfortable. Its not painful with sexual intercourse. I went to a prompt care physician and my obgyn. I was tested for a UTI which was negative, but they gave me antibiotics anyway which seemed to help but only temporary. My obgyn was thinking that it was interstitial cystitis but its not more painful with drinking cranberry juice or some of the other non-recommended food items. Its not vaginitis and I am not pregnant. Also, I know its not weakness in my pelvic floor muscles. This pain is interrupting my life and I need to find out what it is. Thank you for your help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:36 pm

User avatar Hi rustudent21,
As very rightly suggested by Dr. Safaa Mahmoud, you have to get investigated for UTI.
In case you are not responding satisfactorily, or it is recurrent, please remember to have your sexual partner also investigated and treated.This aspect is at times overlooked.Cheers!