Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Urination with ejaculation post prostatectomy

swthrt124 - Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:53 pm

My bf had a robot assisted radical prostatectomy 3 months ago. He has been able to have a functional erection but when we have sex there is a lot of fluid after he ejaculates. He has only had an orgasm while he was inside me so I haven't been able to see what is occurring. Could he be ejaculating urine? Is this harmful to me? Thank you for taking the time to consider this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:36 am

Urine leakage after orgasm is not an uncommon complication after prostatectomy. In fact some reports described orgasm-associated incontinence (climacturia) as a complication that occurs in 50% of patients who underwent prostatectomy as a result of sphincter disorders.

It affects men with different degrees and in most of them, it is not a constant event with a frequency that does not bother them or their partner.

Most men try to evacuate their bladder before intercourse to avoid its occurrence. Few men need to use for example condoms not to bother their partners.

It is a condition he should discuss with his physician for better evaluation and management.

This will make you exposed to chemical irritants from the urine and organisms that may cause infections. Proper local antiseptic measures and cleaning should be taken and discussion with his doctor for proper evaluation. He would instruct both of you with measures that would minimze the problem.

I would advise you to follow up with his doctor and to discuss with him these issues.
Please keep us updated.
 Just40 - Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:52 pm

thank you for the information.
I just had my prostectomy 3 weeks ago, and experienced the ejaculation that you mentioned.
How long should this continue (I think it'll freak my wife out knowing that I was urinating into her)?

Other than urine, is it possible for anything else to come out?

Also I heard that it's possible to impregnate my wife (up to 12 weeks post surgery) since sperm may remain in the sperm vesicles. is this only possible if you ejaculate? If not, how is this possible, if there were no ejaculation - how would the sperm (that is in the vesicles) travel into the woman?

Lastly, eventhough the vas deferens doesn't serve a function - after the prostate is removed, nonetheless, why did it have to get severed (i.e. why did I have to have a vasectomy?). Speaking of which - do they make the cut near the prostate (i.e. inside of the body) or do they cut anything in the scrotum sac?
thanks SOOO much for the help and info.