Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: slow starting urination

caledonia - Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm a 57 year old female. Sometimes it can take about 30 to 35 seconds to start my urination. Is this normal?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:17 am

Difficulty in starting a urinary stream is known as urinary hesitancy.
It is seen in both women and men, but more commonly seen in men with prostatic hyperplasia.

Many conditions can result in urinary hesitancy like URI, neurologic problems affecting nerve supply to this area (postoperative or in diabetics), medications like some antidepressants, and changes in the anatomy of the pelvis around the urethra and the bladder like fibrosis in the pelvis after a surgery in the pelvic organs.

A thorough history and direct clinical examination are essential for initial evaluation. Investigations would include urine analysis, pelvis US or CT scan. Thyroid function tests are better checked too if not done recently. Proper management is essential to avoid urine retention in some conditions.

I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Please keep us updated.