Question: prostate problems from frequent sexual activity

rirob01 - Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:31 pm

I am a 55 year old male and maintain an active sex life. My wife and I have been married for 30 years and still enjoy sex. Recently a good friend told me of his prostate and erectile dysfunction problems. He said his physician told him that frequent ejaculation by men in their 50's can lead to BPH and possibly erectile problems. I ejaculate either by intercourse or masturbation on average 4 times a week, i might add that masturbation is usually mutual with my wife and not solo. I have no problems with my prostate or erectile problems. My question is should I be concerned abut developing prostate or erectile problems and decrease my sexual activity and frequency of ejaculation? Thank you in advance for your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:50 pm

First, you're pretty young to be worrying about this! You also seem to be doing fine in the department in question, and I am a strong subscriber to the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" school. While some men -- rarely, actually -- can experience prostate problems because of overuse of the equipment, the reverse is more often the case, and benign prostatic hypertrophy may occur on its own, but is less likely in men who are regularly sexually active.

In short, I wouldn't go looking for trouble. It sounds as though your sex life (and life in general) is pretty healthy. Enjoy it. If you have no systemic illnesses you're not likely to begin to suffer from EDS, even if you eventually do develop some prostatic enlargement.

I hope this answers your concern. Best of luck to you.