Question: Always wet from urine, but Dr. cannot find reason

mohamie - Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:31 pm

I am a 34 year old female who in 2000 had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer. Immediatly after I had problems with UTI's, bladder infections, and yeast infections. In 2002 I noticed that I was leaking urine when I would cough, excercise, etc. My PCP put me on Tofrnail, and this worked for quite a while, I gradually had to keep upping the dose till finally the medicine no longer worked. This medicine stopped working completly in 2006. When the medicine stopped working I saw a urologist who perfomed multiple tests in his office and he suspected a fistual, because he had me take medicine to color my urine orange, and then he filled my bladder with blue water, and placed a tampon in my vagina, and due to the color of the tampon he immediatly thought fistual. But because the urine was stress related he said that was not a symptom of a fistual. He put a sling in me, and this helped with the urine expelling from my vagina due to sneezing, coughing, excercising etc. but did not help with a continuous urine leakage from my vagina. I have had stents, CAT Scans, ultrasounds, exploratory surgeries, bladder function tests, x-rays and the doctor cannot find any reason why I am always wet with urine. Today, I was told there is nothing else that can be done for me, there has to be a reason for this continous urine leakage. I am at a loss as to what to do.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:43 pm

I sincerely empathize with you for the problems you are enduring.From your description,this could be a fistula(vesico-vaginal or uretero-vaginal).
If all other options have been already tried (and failed), in a situation such as this, sometimes a temporary/permanent urinary diversion may need to be considered. Ofcourse, this should be decided after giving lots of thought to the 'Risk-to-benefit' ratio,age,the extent of morbidity etc. Good luck!