Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Always wet from urine, but Dr. cannot find reason

mohamie - Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:31 pm

I am a 34 year old female who in 2000 had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer. Immediatly after I had problems with UTI's, bladder infections, and yeast infections. In 2002 I noticed that I was leaking urine when I would cough, excercise, etc. My PCP put me on Tofrnail, and this worked for quite a while, I gradually had to keep upping the dose till finally the medicine no longer worked. This medicine stopped working completly in 2006. When the medicine stopped working I saw a urologist who perfomed multiple tests in his office and he suspected a fistual, because he had me take medicine to color my urine orange, and then he filled my bladder with blue water, and placed a tampon in my vagina, and due to the color of the tampon he immediatly thought fistual. But because the urine was stress related he said that was not a symptom of a fistual. He put a sling in me, and this helped with the urine expelling from my vagina due to sneezing, coughing, excercising etc. but did not help with a continuous urine leakage from my vagina. I have had stents, CAT Scans, ultrasounds, exploratory surgeries, bladder function tests, x-rays and the doctor cannot find any reason why I am always wet with urine. Today, I was told there is nothing else that can be done for me, there has to be a reason for this continous urine leakage. I am at a loss as to what to do.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:43 pm

User avatar Hi,
I sincerely empathize with you for the problems you are enduring.From your description,this could be a fistula(vesico-vaginal or uretero-vaginal).
If all other options have been already tried (and failed), in a situation such as this, sometimes a temporary/permanent urinary diversion may need to be considered. Ofcourse, this should be decided after giving lots of thought to the 'Risk-to-benefit' ratio,age,the extent of morbidity etc. Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us