Question: Problems after bladder neck surgery

bobby1970 - Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:06 am

Hello, i am a 37 yr old male from the uk.

Over the last 4 or 5 years i have been suffering from urological problems including difficulty starting, poor flow, incomplete emptying.

I had numerous tests over these years and in August had a bladder neck incision op.

I was told my my urologist prior to the op that there was no guarantee it would work but after all the years of suffering with my problem i felt i should give it a go.

I had been told previously following a cystoscopy that i had a tight and high bladder neck but my bladder pressure was low.

About 2 months after the op i felt really good. Easier to start urinating and also a stronger and thicker stream and thought i was well on the way to overcoming this problem that i had had for a number of years.

However i now find that this has reversed. I am finding that when my bladder is full and i start urinating, everything is ok but then towards the end the flow rate seems to trail off quickly and i have to force out the rest of the urine, even doing this does not seem to leave me totally empty.

I have been to see my urologist and i am going to be doing some proper flow rate tests at the hospital and they will check for residual urine too.

I feel as though i know my own body well enough and that since the op it has made it easier to start a flow mostly but that there is insufficient pressure from my bladder to force all the urine out.

What i would like to know is this. Are there any excercises that can increase the force which the bladder squeezes with?

Or is there any medication that can be taken to improve how much pressure my bladder squeezes with.

I have suffered for a long time with this problem and sometimes it drives me to despair to be honest. So any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Best Regards

Bobby
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:28 pm

The fact that your urinary flow improved following the surgery indicates that your bladder contractions (although may be weaker than normal), are strong enough-provided the out-flow tract is wide enough.

It seems likely that your problem has recurred (the bladder neck stenosis).It will be best to have it corrected again rather than to try to increase the bladder contractions,as this may cause back-pressure and damage your urinary bladder further as well as harming your kidneys.Cheers!