Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Penis Surgery Performed from Childhood

 WellBeing - Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Around 1976 when I was about six years old I had surgery performed on my penis. At the time I was told the surgery was performed to increase the size of the urethra through the penis (and I believe also the urethral opening) to stop bed-wetting (which was not really a problem in the first place... as I only recall wetting the bed-wetting once or twice before the surgery). I am positive that it was not done for what I understand to be called hypospadias, as there was nothing wrong about the placement/ position of the urethral opening. It was simply as I believe to increase the size of the urethra to help empty the bladder.

As a result I was left with a scar on the underside of my penis from end to end. I once briefly asked my mother about this surgery. She told me that she was told it was the thing to do for boys at the time (as my three-year older brother also had the surgery then too). It's honestly left me embarrassed to discuss with anyone including doctors. With a former girl-friend and now my wife, I've simply said little and I have kept the physical scar out of view.

What I would like to know is what was the technical term for this surgery? Plus is it still performed today? I am not looking for any surgery to correct the physical scar, but rather information on the procedure to put to rest the emotional scar.

Thank you for your time to review and possibly shed some light on this for me.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:56 pm

User avatar Hi,
From your description. it could have been a "Meatoplasty", a form of surgery to correct a 'Meatal Stenosis' (narrowing of the external urethral opening).Meatal stenosis could be congenital or aquired.
This condition can cause back-pressure changes and later even result in renal damage.
Surgical correction is definitely indicated.
Theoratically, it can cause chronic bladder distension and overflow incontinence (which could have resulted in bed-wetting).
Usually at surgery, the meatus is fashioned larger than its intended final size to adjust for the inevitable post-operative fibrosis.Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us