Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Silver Nitrate Treatment

goodwordtoday - Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:28 am

For the past 3 months I have had a pain in the lower right side of my bladder. There is blood in my urine but no outright evidence of bacteria. I am seeing a urologist. I had a CT scan revealing nothing. After a cystoscopy he saw that where the urethra connects to the bladder that there was evidence of severe inflammation. Two rounds of different antibiotics did nothing. I am allergic to sulfa and quinalones so the most effective antibiotics for uti I cannot use.

He is trying silver nitrate treatments, once a week in the bladder. So far I have had 3 treatments to no avail. What is happening now is that the pain has traveled up into my back on the right side. I don't have a fever but I am very tired and I am getting scared that this will cause kidney damage. Any advice would be welcome.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:47 am

User avatar Hi goodwordtoday,
Read through your post.Intravesical instillation of silver nitrate solution had been tried in several conditions - notably interstitial cystitis (where the etiology is not thought to be UTI).
I am not aware of it being used for UTI for the sole reason that the patient is sensitive to commonly used antibiotics.
Silver nitrate acts by destroying (cauterising)the bladder mucosa (perhaps the most toxic among intravesically instilled drugs).
Silver nitrate instillation is contraindicated in patients with vesico-ureteric reflux - as it will inevitably cause destruction in the ureters and kidneys).
I hope this will help to clarify your doubts.
Good luck!